The City of Lethbridge has had an Alarm System Bylaw in place since 2000. The purpose of the Lethbridge Alarm System Bylaw is to promote the responsible use of alarm systems by both companies and individuals. The intent of the bylaw is to reduce the number of false alarms that police attend. Lethbridge Bylaw No. 5078 requires all alarm system users to have a valid alarm system permit. Police may not attend your alarm if you do not have a valid alarm system permit. The alarm system permit application can be obtained at the police station, online on the LPS website or from alarm service providers.
ALARM PERMIT APPLICATION Information:
- There is no fee to apply for an alarm permit.
- Alarm permit numbers are not transferable from one address to another or from one owner to another. A change in address or owner will require a new application.
- The permit applicant must be the person responsible for the alarm system. If it is for a commercial property, a contact person is required.
- Secondary keyholders must not reside at the property where the permit has been issued. The keyholder must be able to attend within 30 minutes of being contacted.
- The permit will be renewed automatically every year unless cancelled.
- Return all completed applications to:
Lethbridge Police Service
135 1 Avenue South
Lethbridge, Alberta, T1J 0A1