Lethbridge woman facing numerous charges including assaulting a police officer

A 22-year-old woman is in custody and facing numerous charges following an incident Tuesday afternoon where a police officer was struck with a vehicle, three police cars were damaged and there was a multi-vehicle collision on Mayor Magrath Drive – all the result of a suspect attempting to evade arrest.

On November 22, 2016 a short term investigation into a series of property offences resulted in members of the Priority Crimes Unit locating a female suspect as she parked a white Pontiac Sunfire outside Smitty’s along the 2000 block of Mayor Magrath Drive South.

A police officer parked his vehicle behind the Sunfire and exited to arrest the female. As he opened the driver’s side door she backed her vehicle into him and struck his police car. The female refused to obey police commands and in an attempt to avoid apprehension she fled in the Sunfire which resulted in collisions involving three police vehicles and one civilian vehicle in the parking lot, followed by a three-vehicle collision on Mayor Magrath Drive.

The officer who was hit by the Sunfire was transported to hospital. The female driver was also taken to hospital. Both were treated for minor injuries and have been released.

The other drivers involved in the collisions were not injured.

A search of the Sunfire incidental to arrest resulted in the recovery of stolen property, including merchandise from a salon and identity documents. The Sunfire was also determined to have been stolen and was displaying a stolen license plate.

Alyssa Chantel Krushel, 22, of Lethbridge, is charged with: 

1 count Assault Peace Officer With Weapon

1 count of Resist a Peace Officer

1 count of Flight from Peace officer

1 count of Dangerous Driving

1 count Fail to remain at the scene of an accident

3 counts of Possession of Stolen Property under $5,000

1 count of Breach of Recognizance

1 count of Theft Under $5,000

1 count Possession of Identity Documents

Krushel is remanded in custody to appear in court November 25.

The investigation is ongoing and additional charges are anticipated.