Police and Fire/EMS save man from fentanyl overdose

Lethbridge Police and Fire/EMS worked together Saturday night to save a 19-year-old man who was found unresponsive as a result of a fentanyl overdose.

On December 3, 2016 at approximately 11:00 pm police responded to a report of a suspicious person in the 500 block of 6 Avenue South. Upon arrival, the officers discovered an unconscious 19 year-old male suffering from a suspected fentanyl overdose. The male was not breathing and had no pulse. The officers called for an ambulance and performed CPR. 

An ambulance arrived and EMS continued lifesaving efforts while transporting the man to Chinook Regional Hospital where he was fully revived. 

Police are once again warning the community that fentanyl is deadly. There is no safe amount and in fact a dosage equivalent to just two grains of salt can be fatal.

In any case of suspected fentanyl overdose immediate medical intervention could mean the difference between life and death. Anyone who observes an individual in medical distress or suspects a fentanyl overdose is advised to phone 911 immediately and begin CPR if the person stops breathing or has no pulse.