We are now accepting applications for the position of Police Cadet. This competition closes August 30, 2019 at 4 p.m.
The Lethbridge Police Service, founded in 1902, is a progressive law enforcement agency that provides police services to the City of Lethbridge which has a population of nearly 100,000 people. LPS employs more than 220 sworn and non-sworn staff and dozens of volunteers. The Service is committed to excellence in service delivery, ongoing training opportunities and professional development. All new Constables begin their career in the Patrol Section and are typically eligible to apply for assignment to a specialized unit after three years of service.
- Competitive salaries
- Paid recruit training
- Fast-tracked recruit training for individuals with previous policing experience
- Ongoing opportunities for personal and professional development
- Opportunities for promotion and assignment to numerous specialized units
- Constable 1st Class $99,444
- Constable 2nd Class (12 months) $89,502
- Constable 3rd Class (12 months) $79,560
- Constable 4th Class (12 months) $69,617
- Constable 5th Class (18 months) $64,646
- Community Peace Officer $32.37 per hour
For civilian job opportunities visit www.lethbridge.ca
Before beginning the application process it’s important to be aware of the roles and responsibilities of a police officer. You also need to ensure you meet the minimum requirements and possess the qualities, strengths and attributes that are necessary in the policing profession.
- Do I meet the minimum requirements?
- Is my behaviour ethical and moral?
- Am I able to work with people from all walks of life in a variety of situations?
- Am I self-confident and assertive?
- Do I demonstrate leadership?
- Do I work well on my own and as part of a team?
- Can I make decisions under pressure and in the face of uncertainty?
- Am I physically fit, emotionally stable and responsible?
- Am I prepared to work in all kinds of weather conditions?
- Am I prepared to work shift work including evenings, nights and weekends?
- Have I considered the impact that shift work will have on my home life?
- Am I in good health and free of any conditions that would limit by ability to do police work?
- Am I ready for the challenge?
The application process usually takes several months to complete. It is preferred that applicants have two years of continuous employment or post-secondary education.
We are looking for successful applicants to go through our Cadet training which will be facilitated by Medicine Hat Police Service in Medicine Hat, Alberta. Training will commence January 2020 running for 22 weeks. Successful cadets will then be offered a full time position as one of our Community Peace Officers. These Community Peace Officers will be used to fill future vacancies within the ranks of the Lethbridge Police Service as a Police Officer.
NOTE: Incomplete applications will not be processed. Please ensure you retain any copies of your application that you may need. Once submitted, no copies of your application will be given back.
Application states Level B CPR/First Aid is needed – please submit Level C.
STAGES TO APPLY:
Stage 1 -Application Submit application Personal Disclosure Form
Stage 2 - ACT/APCAT/APREP
Alberta Communication Test (ACT)
Alberta Police Cognitive Abilities Test (APCAT)Thursday July 25, 2019 at 17:00hrs
Thursday August 22, 2019 at 17:00hrs
Thursday September 19, 2019 at 17:00hrs
These are the only testing dates currently scheduled. If the tests are failed they may not be taken again until 30 days have passed. Plan to take the tests as early as you canPlease contact firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your ACT/APCAT dates. Alberta Physical Readiness Evaluation for Police Officer Applicants (APREP) Only successful applicants will be scheduled for an APREP. You will not be scheduled for the APREP until we have received your completed application and you have passed the ACT/APCAT.
Stage 3 – Personal Disclosure Interview & Behaviour Descriptive Interview
Stage 4 – Polygraph & Psychological Testing
Stage 5 – Background Check & Pre-Employment Medical
Stage 6 – Selection
Stage 7 – Conditional Offer