Skip to main content Skip to footer

Collision Reporting

Alberta law requires that all collisions where persons are injured or the total damages exceed $5,000 be reported to the police. This includes collisions with animals or hit-and-run collisions.

Failure to report could result in demerit points or a fine.

What to do if you’re in a collision

Call 9-1-1 immediately if there is a serious situation such as: 

  • Major injury or death
  • Criminal activity (e.g. impaired driver, stolen vehicle, or assault)
  • Roadways that are impeded and/or a dangerous situation exists
  • Large commercial vehicles (e.g. school bus, tractor trailer unit)
  • A vehicle transporting dangerous goods
  • A person whose driver's license is suspended or is not insured
  • An uncooperative driver
  • Damage to private, municipal, or highway property

If it is safe to do so and the vehicles can be moved, move all involved vehicles to an area of safety, clearing the road for other drivers.

Collect and record the following information:

  • Personal information for those involved in the collision, the registered owner of the vehicle if different than the driver and any available witnesses – names, home addresses, phone numbers
  • Vehicle information – licence plates as well as the year, make, model and colour of the vehicles involved in the collision
  • Insurance information – insurance company and policy number
  • Collision information – including the date, time and location where the collision occurred

If the collision does not require a call to 9-1-1 and the combined damage is less than $5,000, contact your insurance company to discuss your options.

If the collision does not require a call to 9-1-1 and the combined damage is $5,000 or more, attend the Collision Reporting Centre as soon as possible to file a report.

Keep in mind that you must report in the jurisdiction that the collision took place.

If a hit-and-run has taken place and you have information about the vehicle that hit you, such as a licence plate, call the non-emergency complaint line for assistance at 403-328-4444

If you do not have any additional information about the vehicle that hit you, come to the Collision Reporting Centre (CRC) to report the collision.

If you are responsible for a hit-and-run, coming forward to take responsibility, even after the fact, is a positive step in resolving the issue. Either call the non-emergency complaint line at 403-328-4444 or come to the CRC to make a report.

Collision Reporting Centre

The Lethbridge Police Service partners with Accident Support Services, a privately owned company that assists citizens in reporting collisions at the Collision Reporting Centre (CRC), which is located at the Lethbridge Police Station.

Lethbridge Collision Reporting Centre
Accident Support Services
135 1 Avenue South
Lethbridge, AB T1J 0A1

Phone: 403-330-5191

Hours of Operation:
Monday-Friday – 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
Closed weekends and statutory holidays

Current wait times

If your vehicle is still operational and safe to be on the roadway, go to the CRC with your vehicle as soon as possible. If your vehicle is disabled and requires a tow, a tow company will transport you and your vehicle to the CRC directly from the scene.

Ensure that you bring all relevant documentation including your driver’s licence, vehicle registration, insurance and the contact information for any witnesses, if available.

Once you arrive at the CRC, staff will document and photograph damage, apply damage stickers, take the Motor Vehicle Collision (MVC) report and facilitate contact with respective insurance companies.

Join Our Team

We are always looking for ethical, brave, committed, and hard-working individuals to to serve our diverse and vibrant community. 

News and Updates

Subscribe to our news to receive the latest communications and updates from the Lethbridge Police Service.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. For more information, see our Privacy Statement.